logologo-optometry

Welcome

The Cyril Kett Museum and Archive contains books, instruments, spectacles, photographs, paintings, archival papers and objects relating to the history of optometry and optometric education. Items in the collection date from the 17th century.  

They provide insights into the changes and developments in optometry and ophthalmology over 300 years.

Museum History
Visit The Museum
Donate An Item

Museum History

Cyril Woodford Kett. Painting by John Nathan 1980. Cat No.8.

The Museum and Archive is named in honour of Cyril Henry Woodford Kett FBOA FSMC (1890 - 1970) who was one of the five people who signed the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Australian College of Optometry in 1939.

He was a councillor of the College from 1940 to 1970 and First Vice President 1944 to 1947. He was made an honorary life member of the College in 1954. He donated numerous items of historical interest to the College that provide the foundation of the Museum. The collection formally started in 1970.

People Who Made History

Search the archive:

Author or Inventor:
Catalogue #
Name of Donor

Recent highlights in the Museum

  • Book cover LR

    NEW BOOK: A HISTORY OF AUSTRALIAN OPTOMETRY (Oct 2015) by Barry L Cole (one of Kett Museum's archivists) has been added to the Museum's Hewett Collection (Cat. No. 2766) or you can buy a copy from the Australian College of Optometry

  • 3164 E. Wood practice LR

    This is a postcard of the optometric practice of E. Wood at 95 Elizabeth St, Melbourne, made in 1908 by F.W. Niven & Co, The pratcice was established in 1886. This is a collectors' item since Francis Niven, a Ballarat based lithographer, was renowned for his photographs and postcards of streets and businesses in Victoria.  (Cat No. 3164)