logologo-optometry

Welcome

The Cyril Kett Museum and Archive contains books, instruments, spectacles, photographs, paintings, archival papers and objects relating to the history of optometry and optometric education. Items in the collection date from the 17th century.  

They provide insights into the changes and developments in optometry and ophthalmology over 300 years.

Museum History
Visit The Museum
Donate An Item

Museum History

Cyril Woodford Kett. Painting by John Nathan 1980. Cat No.8.

The Museum and Archive is named in honour of Cyril Henry Woodford Kett FBOA FSMC (1890 - 1970) who was one of the five people who signed the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Australian College of Optometry in 1939.

He was a councillor of the College from 1940 to 1970 and First Vice President 1944 to 1947. He was made an honorary life member of the College in 1954. He donated numerous items of historical interest to the College that provide the foundation of the Museum. The collection formally started in 1970.

People Who Made History

Search the archive:

Author or Inventor:
Catalogue #
Name of Donor

Recent highlights in the Museum

  • IMG_0511_2.jpeg

    The opening of the Kett Museum's  Aitken Gallery by Victorian Parliamentary Secretary for Health, Anthony Carbines. From left are Honorary Archivists Colin Bates, Joe Chakman, Barry Cole, Pamela Sutton, Michael Aitken and Anthony Carbines MP, Maureen O'Keefe, CEO Australian College of Optometry.

  • 3568_D_Brass_pendant_spyglass.jpeg

    French gilt brass 5 draw spyglass (small monocular telescope) circa 1820. Foliate & floral decoration around eyepiece, ribbed casing with suspension ring. Five draw telescopic action extends the spyglass for use. Diameter: 32mm, Length closed: 15mm: extended: 40mm. Cat No 3568