Optometry course Syllabus and Regulations 1931 of the Victorian Optical Association

Catalogue Number: 1570
Optometry course Syllabus and Regulations 1931 of the Victorian Optical Association
Category: Papers
Sub-Category: Optometry course handbook, syllabi
Association: Victorian Optical Association
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1931
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Publisher/Manufacturer: Printed by Carter and Taverner Pty Ltd 278 Queen St Melbourne
Description Of Item: Small booklet, brown paper printed cover, 15 paginated pages, setting out the subjects of the course, its pre-requisites, the members of the education committee and the lecturers, fees, schedule of examinations and the detailed syllabus of each subject including the recommended text books. It also decribes a 21 lecture post-graduate course. There are a number of handwritten ink amendments about to adding a fourth year to the course and prescribing the leaving certificate as the pre-requisite for entry rather than than intermediate certificate. TWO COPIES. Copy 1 has typed on the title page the name and address of the former owner CW Kett. C.Copy 2 has ink hand written annoations and corrections, including changing the entry standard for the course from Intermediate to Leaving certificate and the addition of a fourth year of practicl sight testing.
Historical Significance: The Victorian Optical Association was founded in 1911 and is the precursor of the Optometrists Association Victorian Division. It offered a course of training in optometry and those who passed the examinations were admitted to Fellowship of the Association. This course was established in 1912. If began as a two-year part-time course with no standard of education for entry. In 1919, the Merit certificate (Year 9) was required and this was raised to the Intermediate certificate (Year 10) in 1928 and the course was expanded to three years part-time. This Fellowship course lasted until 1940 when the Autralian College of Optometry was founded. It was recognised for purposes of Registration when registration of optometrists was introduced by legislation in 1935.
Condition: Copy 1 Mint Copy 2 Carries ink annotations and corrections
Location: Archive office. Pamphlet and ephemera filing cabinet. Drawer 3

Search the archive:

Author or Inventor:
Catalogue #
Name of Donor