Catalogue Number: 1665
Fleming master vision screener (MAVIS)
Sub-Category: Vision screener
Designer/inventor: FLETCHER Robert J
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c 1960
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: London
Publisher/Manufacturer: Optoshield Ltd
Description Of Item: Instrument for screening vision in industry and schools. Green metal casing, Brewster stereoscope viewing of test targets mounted on an internal rotating drum operated by one of two control knobs on either side of the instrument. Tilt mechanism and head rest. Carry handle. Internal illumination of the test targets. Makers plate reading ' F MAVIS Optoshield Ltd London England CAT NO FSE 100 Serial Number 1065'. Engraved metal labels on both side bearing the name of the previous owner 'Coles and Garrad Pty Ltd Visual survey instrument No 1.' Canvas carry bag.
Historical Significance: The instrument is described in Fletcher RJ. Ophthalmics in lndustry London, Hatton Press 1961; 64-69 and in Wigglesworth E and Cole BL Vision and its protection. AOA 1973 on page 130 in which manufacture is attributed to the British Amercian Optical Company (UK). The MAVIS (but not this particular instrument) was used in a study of vision screening conducted by Cole BL. Robbins HJ The Problems of Screening Children's Vision Aust. J. Optom. (1981); 64, (5): 193- I96 in which it is described as having a number of features which would seem to make it suitable for the screening of children's vision. It has provision for subjects with limited vocabulary, tests specifically for the detection of monocular vision and has a test for facultative hypermetropia. The attribution of its design to Robert Fletcher, Professor of Optometry at the City University, London,is likely but uncertain. Vision screening in industry to ensure work place safety and work efficiency emerged in the 1940s and gained impetus after World War 2 (1939 - 1945) through the perceived need to test the vision of servicemen. Vision screening instruments were devised in the 1940s and 1950s. ;Books on occupational optometry and ophthamology were written in the 1940s and 1950s (eg Hofstetter's Industrial Optometry 1956; Kuhn's Industrial Ophthalmology 1944, 1950 See Cat Nos 700, 1404). Coles and Garrard, the original owner of the instrument, was a large Melbourne optometry firm that offered vision screening and heat-toughened glasses to manufacturing industry from the 1950s and used this instrument for that purpose.
How Acquired: Donated by OPSM which acquired Coles and Garrard, prominent Melbourne optometry firm in the 20thC
Date Acquired: 2003
Condition: Poor: weathered and water damaged
Location: Archive office. East wall shelves unit 1