Catalogue Number: 1724
Oval shaped glass ophthalmic lenses
Category: Spectacles and lenses
Sub-Category: Spectacle lenses
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: Early 20th C
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Description Of Item: One pair of 3 eye size edged oval glass lenses, biconcave -4.75 D sph 35 x 27 mm and two pair of 4 eye size edged oval glass lenses, biconcave -4.75 D Sph 38 x 29 mm contained in original wrapping. All lenses have original stickers indicating the power in dioptres and inches (4.75/8.5).
Historical Significance: The father of the donor, Ernest MacFarlane, had a long-established optometry practice at 13 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy, Victoria. He had purchased the practice in about 1905 from a Mr Pugh. He was later joined in his practice by his son, Ken, who was the donor.
How Acquired: Donated by K MacFarlane, Melbourne optometrist
Date Acquired: c 1975
Location: Archive office. East wall shelves unit 3. Drawer 3