Catalogue Number: 1777
Clinical ophthalmology for general practitioners and students
Sub-Category: Book of historical note
Author: TRAQUAIR Harry Moss
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1948
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: London
Publisher/Manufacturer: Henry Kimpton
Description Of Item: Original plum cloth covers, 264 pages, 72 illustrations including 8 colour plates. Bookplate designed by Harold Herbert for J Ringland Anderson on front paste down.
Historical Significance: Harry Moss Traquair (1875-1954) was Scottish and regarded as the father of clinical perimetry. His name is attached to some visual field concepts such as Traquair's hill of vision, Traquair's perimetric targets and Traquair's scotoma. He is most famous for his classic text on perimetry first published in 1927. Traquair was born in Edinburgh in 1875, and educated at the Edinburgh Academy and the Universities of Halle and Edinburgh. He developed tuberculosis while at Edinburgh University and for that reason went to the Orange Free State, where he remained until the age of twenty-one. The disease recurred during his later years and was eventually the cause of his death. He graduated in medicine 1901 with first-class Honors, and was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1904. He was appointed ophthalmic surgeon to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh in 1927 and Lecturer in Diseases of the Eye at the University of Edinburgh in the same year. He was President of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh from 1939 to 1941, President of the UK Ophthalmological Society from 1943 to 1944, and a Member of the Council of the Faculty of Ophthalmologists. After retirement from practice he was elected the first Honorary Member of the Faculty. He contributed widely to the literature of ophthalmology, and was awarded the Middlemore Prize in 1920, the Doyne Memorial Medal in 1922, and the Mackenzie Memorial Medal in 1939.
How Acquired: Donated by Department of Ophthalmology, University of Melbourne
Date Acquired: Jan 2011
Location: Archive room. East wall. Books of historical note