Catalogue Number: 3
(Register of) Students. Holders of LOSc Diplomas from 1944 to 1982
Sub-Category: Minutes, meeting papers
Author: Jean S Colledge, Secretary of the College
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1965 - 1982
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Publisher/Manufacturer: Victorian College of Optometry
Description Of Item: Red cloth cover foolscap size ledger book with pale-blue blue lined pages titled on front fly leaf VICTORIAN COLLEGE OF OPTOMETRY HOLDERS OF LOSc DIPLOMAS FROM 1944. Names of diplomates handwritten in ink with the number of each diploma shown. Signatures of students are in a third column but not for all entries. ALSO included separately glassine file are lists of students from 1963 to 1993 with final year results and annotations and summary sheets.
Historical Significance: The Licentiate of Optometric Science was the qualification awarded by the Australian (Victorian) College of Optometry from 1944 until 1961 to those who completed the four year optometry course of the College. The course became a degree course in the University of Melbourne in 1961 completion of which lead to the award of a Bachelor of Applied Science degree. The College continued to award the LOSc to BAppSc (Optometry) graduates until 1976 without further study or examination as a concurrent award. For a short period the LOSc was awarded on completing post graduate studies but only two optometrists obtained the LOSc as a graduate qualification, these being George Woo and Ian Gutteridge. Diploma No 87 was awarded in 1965 to Dr Alan Isaacs without examination on the resolution of Council. Dr Isaacs was one of the last students to be awarded the Fellowship of the Victorian Optical Association (FVOA) in about 1943. He subsequently completed medical qualifications (MB BS University of Melbourne). This LOSc diploma was awarded because of his further medical studies and in recognition of his work to develop the optometry course in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The LOSc was also awarded honoraris causa in 1965 to Mr Leonard Angior.
How Acquired: Record of VCO
Location: Archive office. Pamphlet and ephemera filing cabinet. Drawer 1