Catalogue Number: 1832
Program for the official opening of the new building of the Victorian College of Optometry on May 10 1991 and associated brochure
Category: Memorabilia and ephemera
Institution: Victorian College of Optometry
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1991
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Publisher/Manufacturer: Victorian College of Optometry and Australian Optometry
Description Of Item: (1) Single A4 sheet, light yellow paper, being the order of proceedings for the offcial opening of the new building of the Victorian College of Optometry on May 10 1991 by the Minister for Health, the honorable Mrs Maureen Lyster and on the reverse notes about the building and guide to a tour of the building. (2) A4 size brochure, 8 pages, colour printed, titled VCO 'A new building ... a special role to play' printed as a supplement to Australian Optometry, designed and written by Sandra Shaw and John Bokor.
Historical Significance: The Victorian College of Optometry built its first building in 1959 and officially opened it in 1960. It gradually acquired adjoining terrace houses and in 1975 officially opened the new building of the National Vision Research Institute. In 1990 it completed a major new 3 storey building to the east, which was opened officially in 1991. See Cat No 389 for detailed information on the stages of the developing the building of the College.
How Acquired: Donated by Pamela Sutton, honorary achivist
Date Acquired: May 2011
Location: Archive office. Pamphlet and ephemera filing cabinet. Drawer 4