Catalogue Number: 1892
Patient records from the practice of Elizabeth Hatfield in Hamilton, Victoria
Sub-Category: Patient examination record
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1943 - 1995
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Hamilton, Victoria
Description Of Item: Two patient records of long term patients in the practice of Elizabeth Hatfield in Hamilton, Victoria that date from 1943 to 1995 and 1949 to 1983 with a single typed A4 page summarising the records and identifying the practitioners who made the records. Single A4 page of typescript summarising the history of the practice. The two summaries are the work of Elizabeth Hatfield the owner of the practice at the time the papers were given to the Museum. Her information is based on a search of old phone books and details of shops in Hamilton in the Hamilton histrocial society, as well as personal knowledge of the practice gained since 1985.
Historical Significance: According to the account given by Elizabeth Hatfield and recorded in these papers, the practice was originally located at 150 Gray Street, Hamilton from 1935 to 1966 when it was owned by Fred Hughes, watchmaker. He was joined by William Hughes, described as an optician. Registration Board papers (Cat nos 888 and 889) show that William Russell Hughes was registered as an optometrist in Victoria on August 17 1936 under Section 8 of the then new Opticians Registration Act 1935. He was among the first Victorian optometrists to be registered under the new Act. His address is given as 150 Gray Street Hamilton. He is descibed as the principal of the practice and solely in the practice of optometry and having a total experience as an optometrist for 20 years. It is possible that the practice existed before 1935. Fred Hughes is not listed in the Board papers and presumbaby did not make application for registration. In 1952 optometrist Peter Wardrop (BSc 1948, LOSc 1951) joined the practice. The practice moved to 128 Gray Street in 1966 and was in the hands of Peter Wardrop. He was succeeded by Robert S Bowden [DipAppSc(Optom) QIT 1970 Registered in Victoria 1971.] Elizabeth Hatfield [BOptom Uni Melb 1981] took over the practice in 1985. Ian Swaby [LOSc 1951], an optometrist practising in his own name and also in Hamilton, was a silent partner in the practice until 1991.
How Acquired: Donated by Elizabeth Hatfield, Fellow of the College
Date Acquired: Dec 2007
Location: Archive office. Pamphlet and ephemera filing cabinet. Drawer 5