Catalogue Number: 2056
Certificate of membership of the Victorian Optical Association for Miss H Moody
Sub-Category: Certificate, diploma
Association: Victorian Optical Association
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1911
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Publisher/Manufacturer: Victorian Optical Association
Description Of Item: White certificate 198 mm W x 150 mm H navy print, in modern frame, reading 'VICTORIAN OPTICAL ASSOCATION/Certificate of Membership/This is to certify that Miss H Moody was elected a member of the above Association at the General Meeting held on May 23rd 1911' signed by H H Baker President and F C Needham Secretary. Simple decorative scroll enclosing the wording above. The logo of the Association bearing the date 1911 is located between the words 'Certificate of' and 'Membership'. The certificate in mounted in a gilt cardboard slip with overall dimensions 305 mm W x 250 mm H. Adhered scraps of paper on back suggesting the certificate may have once been framed.
Historical Significance: Miss Moody was in optometric practice at least from 1902 to 1914. The Museum holds three testimonial letters addressed to her dated 1902. 1905 and 1914. She was a foundation member of the Victorian Optical Association, as this certificate testfies. The date on the certificate 23 May 1911 is the day the Association was established. She was only woman among 26 foundation members (See Cat No 1641). Ms Moody was not an applicant for Registration in 1935 nor was she registered under the the new Opticians Registration Act of Victoria 1935 when the first optometrists were registered in 1936. She may have retired from practice by that date. A claim could be made that Miss Moody was the first woman optometrist in Victoria. Miss Moody practised at 231 Bourke Street East Melbourne.
How Acquired: Donated by John Boxshall 597 Canning Street, Carlton N, Vic 3054
Date Acquired: March 2009
Condition: Good but some fly spots on certificate
Location: Archive room. East wall slat board