Catalogue Number: 2057
Four framed advertising signs from the practice of Miss H Moody or Mr Garratt
Category: Memorabilia and ephemera
Sub-Category: Advertising, ophthalmic practitioners
Practice/Business: MOODY H
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c 1910
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Publisher/Manufacturer: H Moody
Description Of Item: Four advertising signs (1) sign 257 W x 114 mm D on card with glass cover secured by black adhesive tape advertising 'Repairs to spectacles and eyeglasses Promptly Attended To' with 5 black and white photographs of US President Theodore Roosevelt in various poses and wearing pince nez. (2) sign 195 W x 142 mm D on card with glass cover secured by brown adhesive tape advertising that wrong eye glasses are worse than poison and that oculists prescriptions are accurately made up. (3) small sign 118 mm W x 72 mm D on wooden back with glass cover secured by three brass clips advertising free sight tests and qualified advice and right glasses, the words being within the lenses of a draring of glasses, and (4) small sign 118 mm W x 72 mm D on wooden back with glass cover secured by three brass clips advertising rimless eye glass with patent excel clip.
Historical Significance: These items were donated with other items (See Cat No 2055, 2056) by Mr Boxhall, the grandson of a Mr Garratt who is presumed to be the successor to the practice of Miss H Moody. Miss Moody was in optometric practice at least from 1902 to 1914. The Museum holds three testimonial letters addressed to her dated 1902. 1905 and 1914 (donated by Mr Boxall). She was a foundation member of the Victorian Optical Association, as her certificate of membership testfies (Cat No 2056 Donated by Mr Boxall). The date on the certificate 23 May 1911 is the day the Association was established. She was only woman among 26 foundation members (See Cat No 1641). Ms Moody was not an applicant for Registration in 1935 nor was she registered under the the new Opticians Registration Act of Victoria 1935 when the first optometrists were registered in 1936. She may have retired from practice by that date. A claim could be made that Miss Moody was the first woman optometrist in Victoria. Miss Moody practised at 231 Bourke Street East Melbourne.
How Acquired: Donated by John Boxshall 597 Canning Street, Carlton N, Vic 3054
Date Acquired: March 2009
Condition: Fair. Paper material has yellowed on two items. Glass broken on one
Location: Archive room. West wall. Unit 2 Drawer 2