Catalogue Number: 3868
Welch Allyn Ophthalmoscope Model 11600, cased
Corporation: Welch Allyn
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c1980
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: New York State, USA
Publisher/Manufacturer: Welch Allyn
Description Of Item: Welch Allyn direct ophthalmoscope Model No 11600 in case. Single disc of lenses: 0 to +10 DS (1), +12, +15, +20, +40, -25, -20, -15, -10, -8, -6 to -1 DS (1). Black and white plastic, glass, chromed metal. Features halogen globe and rechargeable battery handle. Battery removed. Housed in zip closing fitted case with black leather-look outer surface. Chrome 'WA' logo on lid of case. Green Dymo label 'BANKS' inside lid case. Instrument: L 220mm x W 42mm x D 33mm. Case: W 182mm x D 105mm x H 40mm.
Historical Significance: The first hand-held direct illuminating ophthalmoscope was developed by Dr Francis Welch and William Noah Allyn in 1915. In 1959 Welch Allyn were the first company to use rechargeable batteries within diagnostic instruments. In 1973 the company became the first company to develop and use subminiature halogen lamps for medical diagnostic equipment. Halogen improved the intensity of the light and gave a better colour temperature for diagnosis.
How Acquired: Donated by Margaret Banks
Date Acquired: October 2019
Location: Archive Office. Cabinet One Drawer 7