Catalogue Number: 3927
Pair of Glass Spectacle Lenses in Envelopes
Category: Spectacles and lenses
Sub-Category: Spectacle lenses
Corporation: John K Davis, Henry G Fernald and Arline W Rayner
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1990s
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Thailand
Publisher/Manufacturer: American Optical Company
Description Of Item: Two white envelopes 75 mm x 75 mm x10 mm imprinted with centrally placed horizontal red strip 35 mm wide containing the letters 65 mm/Minus Cylinder Series/Masterpiece? in white. AO? Ophthalmic Products is printed in red in the lower third of the envelope. Each envelope is stamped SPH. CYL 2409 32 10/ -3.25-1.00 / -4.25 +1.00 65 in black. The back of the envelopes have 541148/ ?TM REG. U.S. PAT. OFF/TM-TM OF AMERICAN OPTICAL CORPORATION/U.S. PAT 3,434,781/ BR. Pat. 1,055,541/MADE IN THAILAND/AMERICAN OPTICAL CPRPORATION/SOUTHBRIDGE, MA 01550 and an AO logo printed in red.
Historical Significance: Lenses were part of old stock kept at the ACO dispensing laboratory. William Beecher, a jeweller, decided that he could produce better spectacles than the European imports available in 1833. He formed American Optical Company in 1869. Early in the 20th century the company was producing over 600,000 gold or silver frame mounts per year. Edgar Tillyer was director of research in the 1920s to 1940s and with Anna Glancy developed many of the company's optical products.
How Acquired: Donated by ACO Optical Dispensing Laboratory via David Leeming
Date Acquired: 08/2019
Location: Archive office. East wall shelves unit 3. Drawer 8