Catalogue Number: 3941
Glass Spectacle Lens in Sola Envelope
Category: Spectacles and lenses
Sub-Category: Spectacle lenses
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 2000s
Time Period: 21st C
Description Of Item: White envelope 95 mm x 95 mm x10 mm imprinted with blue, green and black triangular section in the lower right with the words PERMA-GARD hard resin lenses and a Sola logo and SOLA imprinted in white. A white label with a green strip and Perma-Gard imprinted in black is affixed to the top of the envelope. It also has 70 mm SPH CYL and the lens powers imprinted in black on the white area. The numbers +4.25/-1.75 are hand-written in black. The back of the envelope has a statement regarding compliance with FDA requirements and EU Representative SOLA ADC Lenses Ltd./Whitemill Industrial Estate Wexford, Ireland imprinted white on black. The envelope contains a glass lens of the hand written power.
Historical Significance: Lenses were part of old stock kept at the ACO dispensing laboratory. The envelope has been re-used to store a different lens.SOLA (Scientific Optical Laboratories Australia) was founded in 1960. Its foundation was driven by the technical genius of Donald Schultz (See Watkins RD Profile of Donald Herbert Schultz Clin Exp Optom 2004; 87: 187-190) who had for some time been interested in the use of CR39 for the manufacture of ophthalmic lenses. SOLA became a highly successful international company for the production of CR39 lenses. CR-39, or allyl diglycol carbonate (ADC) was first used for spectacle lenses by Armorlite Lens Company in California in 1947.
How Acquired: Donated by ACO Optical Dispensing Laboratory via David Leeming
Date Acquired: 08/2019
Location: Archive office. East wall shelves unit 3. Drawer 8