Catalogue Number: 3557
Two matching 4-drawer wooden filing cabinets for patient records
Sub-Category: Furniture, instrument stands, Px file cabinets
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c 1940
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Description Of Item: Two matching 4-drawer wooden filing cabinets for patient records, each 360 H x 500 W x 380 D mm, stained and varnished, each with four drawers, one with deceased patient records and another with records made by the previous owners. Although the two units are matching they differ slightly in dimensions and label holders.
Historical Significance: These filing cabinets were used in an optometric practice in Hamilton, Victoria, which was owned by the donor, Elizabeth Hatfield, since 1985. When she assumed ownership of the practice these filing cabinets were in a visiting practice in Casterton, 50 km west of Hamilton. They were probably originally used in the Hamiton main practice, which was founded in 1935 by Fred Hughes, a watchmaker. He was joined by William Russell Hughes, an optometrist who was registered to practice optometry when the Opticians Act 1935 came into force in 1936. More details about this practice can be found at Catalogue No 1892.
How Acquired: Donated by Elizabeth Hatfield, fellow of the College
Date Acquired: Apr 2018
Condition: Very good
Location: Archived journals room