Catalogue Number: 3673
Box only for Murine eye drops
Sub-Category: Eye baths, bottles, jars
Corporation: The Murine Company Inc
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c1960
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Roseberry, NSW, Australia
Publisher/Manufacturer: Scott & Bowne (Aust) Ltd
Description Of Item: Empty cardboard box for Murine eye drops, printed in the style of the early 20th century. Box: 97mm H x 37mm W x 37mm D.
Historical Significance: Murine eye drops were invented by an entrepreneurial medical practitioner, Dr James McFatrich, in 1897. Dr McFatrich was the owner of the College of Ophthalmology and Otology in Chicago in the 1890s and the College offered sight-testing courses for opticians from that time. Murine was a great commercial success for which Dr McFatrich made extravagant claims. The eye wash was originally made by the Murine Eye Remedy Company and continues to marketed under this name.
How Acquired: Donated by Pamela R Sutton
Date Acquired: October 2018
Location: Archive Office. Cabinet One Drawer 6