Catalogue Number: 3327
Cased electrified Morton-style ophthalmoscope, by Robert Whitelaw, Glasgow
Designer/inventor: Andrew Stanford Morton
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c1910
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Glasgow, Scotland
Publisher/Manufacturer: Robert Whitelaw
Description Of Item: Cased Morton-style ophthalmoscope with Marple mirror, electric internal illumination and leads to connect to external electricity supply. Head has two discs of lenses, as per traditional Morton design and U-shaped mirror. Slim handle with fine cloth covered flex leads terminating in two pins to connect to instrument stand. Fitted case lined with blue satin and velvet, outer covered in black leatherette. Paper label inside lid and underneath case: 'ROBERT WHITELAW,/ Surgical Instrument Maker,/ 18 GIBSON STREET, HILLHEAD,/ GLASGOW.' Label under case retains faint trace of owner's name, perhaps 'Dr P.. Granger'. Case: 260 x 58 x 38 mm. Instrument: 218 x 31 x 22 mm.
Historical Significance: Wilbur B Marple presented his improved design for an ophthalmoscope, including a U-shaped mirror in: Trans Am Ophthal Soc, 1906, p225. Morton described his ophthalmoscope to the Ophthalmological Society of the United Kingdom in January 1885.
How Acquired: Purchased by Kett Museum
Date Acquired: June 2017
Condition: Excellent, except 1 lead terminal damaged
Location: Archive Office. Cabinet One Drawer 10