Catalogue Number: 3339
Rimless spectacles in frog mouth case
Category: Spectacles and lenses
Sub-Category: Spectacles with case
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c1910
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Surrey, UK
Publisher/Manufacturer: Hadley Company (frame)
Description Of Item: Gold three-piece rimless spectacle frame, 110 x 32 mm, with W bridge and curl sides, stamped Hadley 1-10 on back of the bridge,. fitted with oval shape flat glass single vision lenses, and contained in a frogmouth case, 130 x 50 mm, covered with black fabric and lined black velvet, gold stamped on the front 'CARL WERNER & CO / CARTER & WERNER / OPTICIANS / MELBOURNE'
Historical Significance: The supplier of these spectacles was Carl Werner and Co (Carter and Werner) opticians in Melbourne. Carl Werner (b1852- ) founded this two-generation optometry firm and his three sons. all qualified optometrists, were influential in the early development of optometry in Victoria. Carl Werner came to Australia in 1870 from Kiel in Holstein, at the age of 18, to live with an uncle in Ballarat. He had received some early optical training in Germany and joined the firm of Alex, Marks and Co. in Ballarat. Here, he worked with William Henry Carter, who had done an apprenticeship as jeweller and watchmaker in Melbourne. Henry Carter and Carl Werner started their own business (Carter and Werner) as jewellers, opticians and importers of optical instruments in Lydiard Street, Ballarat. They later opened branches in Launceston, Tasmania and agencies in other towns. Karl Werner later travelled to London to study for the Fellowship of the Spectacle Makers Company (FSMC) which he completed in 1896, obtaining certificate No 1 of this newly established Fellowship qualification. Carl Werner managed the Tasmanian enterprise but when it was sold he returned to Ballarat. He and Carter then established a practice in Melbourne in Elisabeth Street and later at 536 Collins St. When Carter died in 1902 the Ballarat practice was sold and the Werner family moved to Melbourne in the following year. The name of the practice Carter and Werner was changed to Carl Werner and Co. probably in 1902 See Werner's profile under the tab 'People who made history'. The maker of the frame Hadley Co was located at Portsmouth Road, Surbiton, Surrey, UK, It was a listed exhibitor as a manufacturer of spectacle frames and Parts in the British Industries Fair of 1922. (Stand No. G.59). It was acquired by UK Optical Holdings in 1967. See http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Hadley_Co. The lenses would have been sourced overseas but cut, shaped, edged and fitted by C. Werner and Co in Melboure, Australia.
How Acquired: Donated by Elizabeth Hatfield, Fellow of the College
Date Acquired: June 2017
Condition: Spectacles good. case fair
Location: Archive Office. Spectacles cabinet Drawer 1