Catalogue Number: 2189
Post box for spectacles
Category: Memorabilia and ephemera
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Description Of Item: Cardboard post box with metal corner clasps, 190 x 90 x 25 mm, for sending spectacles to patients. Imprinted on top with the name of the optometric practice 'Coles and Garrard Pty Ltd/Opticians/370-372 Bourke Street Melbourne' with instructions and promotional message 'Eyesight carefully tested'
Historical Significance: Coles and Garrard Pty Ltd was a large firm of optometrists in Melbourne owned and run by Earl Coles until about 1950 when it was acquired by the optometrists in the practice. It was founded about 1920 and ceased trading about 1990. It had optometrists who regularly visited country towns and post boxes would be used to post the spectacles prescribed to patients.
How Acquired: Donated by Donald MacRaild. Project co-ordinator Vanuatu Prevention of Blindness Project
Condition: Very good
Location: Archive room. West wall. Unit 2 Drawer 2