logologo-optometry

Scleral Contact Lenses and Case

/home/acomuseum/public_html/images/archive/3258.jpg
Catalogue Number: 3283
Scleral Contact Lenses and Case
Category: Spectacles and lenses
Sub-Category: Contact lenses and accessories
Practice/Business: John Strachan
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1960's
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Publisher/Manufacturer: John Strachan
Description Of Item: Two rigid plastic (PMMA) scleral contact lenses, 25 mm overall diameter, each with a single fenestration at limbal zone and engraved with one or two dots at edge. Powers +3.50 DS both lenses. Original hinged double storage case lined with fawn coloured chamois & covered with fawn and grey textured material. Case: 77 mm x 47 mm x 22 mm. A small piece of folded yellowed paper 35 mm x 45 mm in the case bears the handwritten words '2 dots for left eye on bottom' A hand-written note provides details of the origin of the lenses.
Historical Significance: John Strachan, optometrist and contact lens pioneer, prescribed these lenses for a patient of Walter or Ian Swaby, optometrists, Hamilton when on one of his visits to the Western District of Victoria.
How Acquired: Donated by Elizabeth Hatfield, optometrist
Date Acquired: 1997
Condition: Good, paper yellowed
Location: Archive room. West wall. Unit 6 Drawer 2

Search the archive:

Author or Inventor:
Catalogue #
Name of Donor