The Maddox Cheiroscope (Description and instructions for use)

Catalogue Number: 3213
The Maddox Cheiroscope (Description and instructions for use)
Category: Papers
Sub-Category: Ophthalmic product manual/instructions
Corporation: C.W. Dixey and Son Ltd
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c 1935
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: London
Publisher/Manufacturer: C.W. Dixey and Son Ltd
Description Of Item: Stapled pamphlet, 230 x 125 mm, 8 pages including unnumbered front page with title and a blank unnumbered back page, two black and white illustrations of the cheiroscope. Pencilled notation 177(05)at top of front page
Historical Significance: The cheiroscope is an orthoptic instrument for providing training to restore normal binocular vision for patients with squint of other binocular vision anomalies. In this respect it is like an amblyoscope or synoptophore but with a unique design to allow the patients hand to be brought into use during the training. It was devised by Ernest E. Maddox in 1929 (E. E. Maddox (November 1929). "Demonstration of the Cheiroscope". Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine. 23 (1): 48-55) and is described in Duke Elder's Textbook of 1949. The name Cheiroscope derives from 'cheir' the hand and 'skopein' to see. The address of the company is given as 19 Old Bond Street, which was destroyed in World War 2 and forced relocation. This dates the manual to before the war or its early years. C.W. Dixey & Son was established by William Fraser in 1777 as an optical and mathematical instrument company. Fraser's talent was recognised by King George III of England and Royal Warrants and commissions followed. However, the business declined when an assistant, Mr Grice, used the premises as a gambling den. It was rescued in 1824 when Charles Wastell Dixey and his uncle acquired the business. Over the next century the family proudly served as optician to the King or Queen of England and created a distinguished London company. The first 163 years were spent at 3 New Bond Street and 19 Old Bond Street. The Old Bond Street premises was destroyed in the Second World War, forcing relocation to London's medical district. The Dixey family eventually transferred ownership to their loyal staff. Sadly, having survived recessions and wars, dishonesty almost destroyed the company in the 1990s. The Company continues in business today (2016). More information at http://www.cwdixeyandson.com/history.php
How Acquired: Donated by Optometry Australia
Date Acquired: Jan 2017
Condition: Good
Location: Archive office. Pamphlet and ephemera filing cabinet. Drawer 7

Search the archive:

Author or Inventor:
Catalogue #
Name of Donor