Catalogue Number: 2860
Timber box for Murine Eye Remedy
Sub-Category: Eye baths, bottles, jars
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c 1930
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Description Of Item: Timber box, pine (?) timber, dovetail joints on sides. 170 x 115 x 95 mm, with a sliding lid, for holding 12 Murine dropper bottles. The lid and the two long sides are labelled in red and black inks ' MURINE / EYE / REMEDY / GUARANTEED NO: 1053 '. The short sides are labelled in black ink ' MURINE / EYE / REMEDY / ONE DOZEN 50 c / SERIAL No 52022 '
Historical Significance: Murine eye drops were invented by an entrepreneurial medical practitioner, Dr James McFatrich, in 1897. Dr McFatrich was the owner of the College of Ophthalmology and Otology in Chicago in the 1890s and the College offered sight-testing courses for opticians from that time. Murine was a great commercial success for which Dr McFatrich made extravagant claims. The eye wash was originally made by the Murine Eye Remedy Company and continues to marketed under this name.
How Acquired: Donated by Colin Grahame, Melbourne optical wholesaler
Date Acquired: May 2016
Condition: Good although generally soiled