Catalogue Number: 2883
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c 1965
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: London
Publisher/Manufacturer: Keeler Company
Description Of Item: Keeler ophthalmoscope adapted for providing pleoptic therapy. White cylindrical handle and lamp housing with milled and chromium end piece and rubber electric cord protector, white electrical cord to transformer box (not original), black metal optical head marked PS.475, with condensing lens adjustable by means of the mechanical slide on the handle, The ophthalmoscope is contained in a fitted case covered in maroon leatherette, with carry handle and a (missing) hinged lid. The case holds a transformer and control box marked 'PROJECTOSCOPE / CONTROL UNIT' with the Keeler London trade mark. The control box has rotating knobs to control intensity and flashing characteristics of the light source. Across the front of the case in a grey velvet covered shelf fitted to hold a number of accessories. A further accessory is direct wired to the control box and slips over the condensing lens barrel.
Historical Significance: This item is an adaptation of a Keeler ophthalmoscope for delivering pleoptic treatment of amblyopia, eccentric fixation and anomalous correspondence associated with strabismus. Pleoptics treatment was devised in 1947 by Alfred Bangeter (1909-2002), a Swiss ophthalmologist who was head of the Eye Department in St-Gallen from 1946 to 1983. He actively promoted his methods at conferences, in publications and through a School of Pleoptics and Orthoptics that he created. The method used bright light to desensitise the region of the retina used for eccentric fixation or anomalous correspondence and the stimulation of the true fovea with flashing lights. and other methods. Bangeter devised some 20 instruments for providing pleoptic treatment. His contemporary, Curt Cuppers, (1910-1995), a German ophthalmologist, was equally inventive in producing instruments, of which the Euthyscope was one (see Cat No 2881). This Keeler instrument works on the same principles as the Euthyscope. However, pleoptics did not hold to its initial promise and interest in it declined during the 1960s. See Priestley BS. Pleoptics instruments and methods. Int Opthal Clinics 1961; 1: 787-827 for a detailed account of pleoptic instruments. Keeler Ltd was founded by Charles D Keeler, and American born optical dispenser who set up business in London in 1917. It expanded into ophthalmic instrument making and wholesale spectacle making in 1933 to take advantage of Keeler's inventiveness. Over the years it has launched numerous versions of ophthalmoscopes starting with the Wide-Angle Ophthalmoscope in 1933.
How Acquired: Donated by Optometry Clinic, Australian College of Optometry
Condition: Lid missing, non-original electric cord to ophthalmoscope. Pledge missing on main power lead, some accessories missing
Location: Archive room. East wall Unit 1 Cupboard