Catalogue Number: 2947
Photographs of the premises of 19th C Melbourne optometrist C.W. Pugh at 13 Gertrude St, Fitzroy, Melbourne
Sub-Category: Photograph Buildings
Photographer: SUTTON. Pamela
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 2016
Time Period: 19th C
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Description Of Item: Four digital photographs of the premises of 19th C Melbourne optometrist Charles William Pugh (1833-1902) at 13 Gertrude Street Fitzroy Melbourne, which features his name and occupation in the floor tiles of the entrance to the premises. The tiles were extant August 2016 when these photographs were taken. A Entrance tiles bearing the name ' C. W. Pugh Optician' 3264 x 2448. 2.9 MB: B Entrance to the premises, occupied by a cafe in 2016 2325 x 2689 1.9 MB: C Exterior of the premises in August 2016 2407 x 2318 1.2 MB: D Screen grab from Streetview Google Maps 2016 of the exterior of the premises 1012 x 993 505 kb.
Historical Significance: Charles William Pugh was born in London in 1853. He was the son of William Pugh (1824- 1900) who was trained as an optician and brass worker (for scientific instruments) at Dollonds, famed London opticians and scientific instrument maker since 1750. Charles Pugh, aged 23, emigrated to New Zealand in 1875 with his mother and siblings, his father having preceded the family in moving to New Zealand. William was employed by noted New Zealand jeweller and optometrist Thomas Robert Procter in 1877 (or a few years earlier), being described by Procter as 'a first class and thoroughly qualified optician (late of Dollond's London) and the only practical optician in New Zealand'. His son, Charles, was trained as an optician by his father when living and working in Christchurch, New Zealand. Charles migrated to Australia and set up practice at 13 Gertrude Street about 1898, again possibly earlier. He enjoyed the patronage of the Governor of Victoria. Lord Brassey KCB. Charles died in 1902 in his 49th year. His wife continued the practice, presumably employing a qualified manager. The practice was sold in 1907 to Ernest MacFarlane (see Cat Nos. 109, 114, 1718) and continued by his son, Ken MacFarlane (see Cat. No. 1473).
How Acquired: Donated by Pamela Sutton, honorary archivist
Date Acquired: August 2016
Location: Archive computer iPhoto