Black leather covered metal snap case stamped for J Garratt Optician

Catalogue Number: 2739
Black leather covered metal snap case stamped for J Garratt Optician
Category: Spectacles and lenses
Sub-Category: Spectacle case
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c 1930
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Description Of Item: Small metal snap case, 115 X 45 mm, covered in black leather and lined with violet velvet gold stamped underneath with ' J GARRATT / OPTICIAN / 3rd FLOOR CENTREWAY / COLLINS STREET MELB '
Historical Significance: The donor, Mr John Boxshall, is the grandson of a Mr John Garratt who is presumed to be the successor to the practice of a Miss H Moody. He practised at the same address in Centeway, Collins Street, Melbourne that appears on a spectacle case for Miss H Moody (see Cat No. 2740) . Miss Moody was in optometric practice at least from 1902 to 1914. The Museum holds three testimonial letters addressed to her dated 1902, 1905 and 1914 at 231 Bourke Street East, Melbourne (Cat No. 2058). She was a foundation member of the Victorian Optical Association, as a certificate of membership in her name testifies (Cat No. 2056). The date on the certificate, 23 May 1911, is the day the Association was established. She was only woman among 26 foundation members (See Cat No 1641). Ms Moody was not an applicant for Registration in 1935 nor was she registered under the the new Opticians Registration Act of Victoria 1935 when the first optometrists were registered in 1936. She may have retired from practice by that date. A claim could be made that Miss Moody was the first woman optometrist in Victoria. Miss Moody practised at 231 Bourke Street East Melbourne and at Centreway in Collins Street
How Acquired: Donated by John Boxshall, Carlton
Date Acquired: Mar 2009
Condition: Fair to good
Location: Archive room. West wall. Unit 4 Drawer 5

Search the archive:

Author or Inventor:
Catalogue #
Name of Donor