Catalogue Number: 2783
Photograph of the foundation office bearers of the Institute of Ophthalmic Opticians of Queensland Oct 1 1908
Sub-Category: Photograph People and events
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1908
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Brisbane
Description Of Item: Digital image of a black and white photograph, 6794 x 6325, 19.7 Mb, of the foundation office bearers of the Institute of Ophthalmic Opticians of Queensland dated Oct 1 1908. The photograph is set in a white/cream slip with the words ' INST. OF OPHTHALMIC OPTICIANS OF QLD. (INC)' across the top, and below '1st OCT, 1908 / FRONT ROW L TO R / B, FINKERNAGEL (HON. ASST. TREASURER), CHAS. SANKEY FRASER (PRESIDENT) / R.C. BRIER (HON. SECRETARY). / STANDING L TO R / F. W NISSEN, J. TILLEY, R. HULSEN, E. DENBY.'
Historical Significance: The original photograph is held by Optometry Queensland and Northern Territory. The Institute of Ophthalmic Opticians of Queensland was founded on October 1 1908 and was the second optometry association to be formed in Australia. The first was The Australian Optical Association, founded in Sydney on June 7 1904, just 3 years after Federation of the six colonies to form the new nation of Australia. While its goal was to be national, the tyranny of distance defeated this ambition and in 1909 changed its name to Institute of Ophthalmic Opticians of New South Wales. The Queensland Institute had 23 attend its inaugural meeting and it had 85 members at its first AGM.
How Acquired: Donated by Optometry Queensland and Northern Territory
Date Acquired: Jan 2016
Location: Archive computer iPhoto