Catalogue Number: 2253
Atlas and epitome of ophthalmoscopy and ophthalmoscopic diagnosis
Sub-Category: Book of historical note
Author: HAAB, Otto (Edited by GE DeSchweinitz)
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1909
Edition: 2nd American edition from the 5th revised German edition
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Philadelphia USA
Publisher/Manufacturer: WB Saunders and Company
Description Of Item: Original green cloth, 190 x 130 mm, 94 numbered pages of text, 16 pages of advertisements, 152 colour lithographic illustrations on 87 plates, each facing a Figure caption. Original 8 page leaflet advertising Saunders textbooks tipped in. Ink stamp for E Wood optician, 95 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne on front fly leaf. The book is part of the Saunders Medical Hand Atlas Series.
Historical Significance: Otto Haab (1850-1931) was educated in Zurich and received his doctorate there in 1875. In the previous year, 1874, he was assistant to Carl Joseph Eberth (1835-1926) in pathological anatomy. In 1877 he was at the ophthalmological clinic under Johann Friedrich Horner (1831-1886). He was habilitated for ophthalmology in 1879 in Zurich. In 1886 Haab succeeded Horner at the University of Zurich, remaining in this position until 1919. His written work concerns a wide spectrum of ophthalmological themes. He contributed in particular to pathological anatomy of the eye, operative ophthalmology and in particular the treatment of lesions of the eye. He introduced the giant magnet in eye medicine. Otto Haab is also remembered for Haab's lines = horizontal breaks in Descemet membrane occurring in congenital glaucoma, Haab's eye knife, Haab's eye mirror, Haab's needle and Haab's scleral resection knife. The first edition was published in German in 1897. The numerous chromolithographed illustrations by Reichold of Munich are a special feature of this book. We hold other editions of this book 3rd 1901 Cat No 737 and other books by Dr Haab. This book is essentially the same as that catalogued at No 783 which is dated 1910 (rather than 1909). It also includes 16 pages of book advertisements not included in the 1910 book.
How Acquired: Donated by Ross Harris, honorary life member of the College
Date Acquired: July 2013
Location: Archive room. East wall. Books of historical note