Catalogue Number: 2528
Gold oval eye pince-nez with straight bridge
Category: Spectacles and lenses
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Description Of Item: Unglazed gold alloy oval-eye pince-nez, 100 x 35 mm, with straight still spring bridge protruding forward, straight corked plackets, small finger ring on outer right rim.
Historical Significance: The donor, Colin Grahame, was an optical wholesaler (Apollo Optical) to optometrists and befriended Melbourne optometrist, Leonard (Len) Angior, (1913-2001) who was one of his customers. On Len Angior's death Mr Grahame assisted settle the estate and took possession of some of the stock of the practice, which he has now donated to the Kett Museum. Len Angior (1913-2001) practised in Collins Street. He was among the first optometrists to be registered for the practice of optometry in 1936 following the passage of the Opticians Act in 1935, which for the first time required optometrists to be registered. He held Fellowship of the Victorian Optical Association (FVOA). His father, Arthur Warwick Angior (1877-1930), was also an optometrist, as was Leonard's sister Gwendolyn (1910-1981), who worked in the Eye and Ear Hospital. Len Angior was a Councillor of the Australian College of Optometry and was chairman of its Council from 1947 to 1954.
How Acquired: Donated by Colin Grahame, Melbourne optical wholesaler, ex the practice of Len Angior, Melbourne optometrist
Date Acquired: Dec 2014
Location: Archive Office. Spectacles cabinet Drawer 9