Catalogue Number: 2421
Clear glass pedestal eye bath
Sub-Category: Eye baths, bottles, jars
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1900-1924
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Millville New Jersey USA
Publisher/Manufacturer: Whitall Tatum and Co.
Description Of Item: Clear glass pedestal eye bath, 40 mm W x 55 mm H. Fluted sides to oval shaped cup. Facetted baluster stem. Marked 'W. T. CO./ B / U.S.A.' under base.
Historical Significance: Whitall Tatum and Co. was one of the earliest and best known manufacturers of prescription flint glassware. Located in Millville New Jersey, it was founded 1806 and used the initials W. T. Co. to identify its products from 1857. It made bottles and jars from 1806 to 1938 and at one time was largest producer of flint glass containers in the world. See Bottles and Jars Summer 2006. It was purchased by Armstrong Cork Company in 1938 which owned the operation until 1969. It originally made window glass but by 1820 was producing carboys, demijohns, vials, druggists bottles, and snuffs. Sturrock dates eye baths with 'B' mark as 1900-1924.
How Acquired: Donated by Pamela Sutton, honorary archivist
Date Acquired: May 2014
Condition: Very good
Location: Archive Office. Spectacles cabinet Drawer 18