Opening of the building of the Victorian College of Optometry in Carlton 1960

Catalogue Number: 383
Opening of the building of the Victorian College of Optometry in Carlton 1960
Category: Photographs
Sub-Category: Photograph People and events
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1960
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Description Of Item: Black and white photograph 140 mm W x 101 mm D of those attending and/or officiating at the opening of the new building of the College at 374 Cardigan Street on October 20 1960. It depicts the Hon Arthur Rylah Deputy Premier of Victoria, speaking. Also a colour print slightly smaller size
Historical Significance: The Victorian College of Optometry was founded on December 29 1939 with the signing of the Articles of Association on that day. At the time it was known as the Australian College of Optometry, a name to which it reverted in 2009. It rented premises on the fourth floor of Kurrajong House at 177 Collins Street Melbourne from 1940 to 1960. In 1960 it moved to a new purpose built building at 374 Cardigan Street Carlton. The site comprising 374 to 378 Cardigan Street had been purchased in 1956 when Bertram Nathan was Treasurer of the College for 6200 pounds ($12,400). The site had on it a terrace house and a cottage. The Treasurer persuaded the Government of Victoria to make a grant of 32,000 pounds ($64,000) to construct a new building on the site occupied by the cottage. This was completed early in 1960. The opening was to be performed by the Premier of the State, the Hon Henry Bolte, but he sent the Attorney General Hon Arthur Rylah (1909-1974) as his deputy.
How Acquired: Record of VCO
Date Acquired: 1960
Condition: Good
Location: Archive office. South wall. Cube 5 Album 1

Search the archive:

Author or Inventor:
Catalogue #
Name of Donor