Catalogue Number: 396
The Nathan Library of the Victorian College of Optometry in the 1980s
Sub-Category: Photograph Buildings
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Description Of Item: Black and white photographs. (1) 126 mmW x 81 mm D of the Nathan Library of the College as it was in the 1980s. (2) 140 mmW x 89 mm D of the audio visual equipment in the Library at the time, with students using it.
Historical Significance: In the 1940s and 1950s the College library comprised 2 glass fronted steel built cabinets containing a few old books that were never used. The glass fronts were always locked. When the College moved to its Carlton site, the new Director of Studies, Barry Cole, had the College subscribe to many journals and books were bought regularly. These were housed in a narrow room on the first floor of the 1960 building adjoining the Amies theatre. This room was originally the Council room with book shelves lining the walls but as the library grew the Council room was moved.
How Acquired: Record of VCO
Condition: Good but a dark photograph
Location: Archive office. South wall. Cube 5 Album 1