Catalogue Number: 737
Atlas and epitome of ophthalmoscopy and ophthalmoscopic diagnosis
Sub-Category: Significant book (Aitken collection)
Author: HAAB, Otto
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1901
Edition: Revised from 3rd edition
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Philadelphia USA
Publisher/Manufacturer: WB Saunders and Company
Description Of Item: Original dark green cloth, 80 numbered pages of text, 18 pages of book advertisements including two pasted down on the front and back inside cover, 152 colour lithographic illustrations in 80 Figures, each facing a Figure caption. Figures are on unnumbered pages but are given Figure numbers. Pencilled name 'Alan Isaacs' on front fly leaf. Alan Isaacs bought this book for 5 shillings in Hall's Book shop in the early 1940s when he was an optometry student in Victoria studying for the Fellowship of the Victorian Optical Association. The book was translated from German and revised by Dr GE DeSchweinitz for the Saunders Medical Hand Atlas Series. The numerous chromolithographed illustrations by Reichold of Munich are a special feature of this book.
Historical Significance: Otto Haab (1850-1931) was educated in Zurich and received his doctorate there in 1875. Already in the previous year, 1874, he was assistant to Carl Joseph Eberth (1835-1926) in pathological anatomy. In 1877 he was at the ophthalmological clinic under Johann Friedrich Horner (1831-1886). He was habilitated for ophthalmology in 1879 in Zurich. In 1886 Haab succeeded Horner at the University of Zurich, remaining in this position until 1919. His written work concerns a wide spectre of ophthalmological themes. He contributed in particular to the knowledge of the pathological anatomy of the eye, operative ophthalmology and in particular the treatment of lesions of the eye. He introduced the giant magnet in eye medicine. Otto Haab is also remembered for Haab's lines = horizontal breaks in Descemet membrane occurring in congenital glaucoma, Haab's eye knife, Haab's eye mirror, Haab's needle and Haab's scleral resection knife. The first edition was published in 1897. The Museum holds other books by Dr Haab. (Cat No 60, 65, 573, 1694).
How Acquired: Donated by Alan Isaacs, honorary life member of the College
Date Acquired: April 2008
Location: Nathan Library. Aitken collection