Catalogue Number: 1069
The Commonwealth Optometrist
Category: Periodical, magazine
Association: Institute of Optometrists of NSW
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1920 - 1927
Time Period: 1900 to 1939
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Sydney
Publisher/Manufacturer: Institute of Optometrists of NSW
Description Of Item: Commonwealth Optometrist Volumes 2 (March 1920 to February 1921), 4, (March 1922 to February 1923), 5 (March 1923 to February 1924), 7 (March 1925 to February 1926) and 8 (March 1926 to February 1927). Volumes 2, 4, 7 and 8 are bound in green cloth covers with the spine embossed 'Aust J Optometry', the volume number and the year of the first issue of the volume. Volume 5 is bound in claret cloth covers with the spine embossed 'Commonweath Optometry', the volume number and the year of the first issue of the volume. There is a duplicate copy of Volume 7 similarly bound.
Historical Significance: The Commonwealth Optometrist was first published in March 1919 and was adopted as the official journal of the then newly founded Australian Optometric Association (now Optometrists Association Australia). It had been preceded by The Optometrist of NSW (1914 to 1919) published by the Institute of Optometrists of New South Wales, which continued to be responsible for publication of the new title. It became the Australasian Journal of Optometry in March 1928, the Australian Journal of Optometry with Issue No 4 1959 and then Clinical and Experimental Optometry in 1986. See Cat No 1513 for some unbound issues of Comm Optom including issue No 1 1919. The Commonwealth Optometrist is available online (and searchable) on the web site of Clinical and Experimental Optometry at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/%28ISSN%291444-0938. Copies of most volumes of the successor titles to Comm Optom, the Australasian Journal of Optometry and the Australian Journal of Optyometry are also held in the Nathan Library in the foyer, lower section north wall.
How Acquired: Ex Nathan Library
Condition: Good VCO Library stamps
Location: Nathan Library. Foyer, Lower shelves north wall