Catalogue Number: 1137
Designer/inventor: John Couper
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c1880
Time Period: 19th C
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: London, UK
Publisher/Manufacturer: Curry & Paxton
Description Of Item: Non-illuminated ophthalmoscope, direct & indirect, with +13 DS condensing lens, in case. Imprinted: COUPER'S OPHTHALMOSCOPE/ CURRY & PAXTON/ LONDON. L: 225 mm (inc handle) x W: 34 mm. Case: 149 x 59 x 22 mm.
Historical Significance: A common problem of early ophthalmoscopes, with the light source to the side of the patient, was the need to tilt the mirror at an angle to the line of observation.The observer could only view the fundus obliquely through the correcting lens. With higher powers this produced a reduction in vision and a shifting of the image. In 1875, John Couper of the Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital, overcame this problem by separating the round disc of lenses from a tiltable mirror. The observer could thus look through the centre of the lenses perpendicularly.
How Acquired: Donated by Keith Holdsworth, formerly property of Roy Holdsworth, early 20th C Melbourne optometrist
Condition: Very good, but one mirror missing
Location: Archive Office. Cabinet One Drawer 8