Catalogue Number: 1216
Opening of the National Vision Research Institute (NVRI)
Sub-Category: Photograph People and events
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1975
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Description Of Item: Colour photograph 8.9 x 12.6 cm of the celebration following the official opening of the National Vision Research Institute (NVRI) in May 1975. AOA President Arthur Ley proposes the toast to the NVRI.
Historical Significance: The official opening, by the Premier of Victoria, the Rt Hon Rupert Hamer ED, was conducted in the Elizabeth Younger Ross Hall (now demolished) in the grounds of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital which was then located on the triangle of land bounded by Cardigan St, Keppel Street and Lytton Street (since demolished). Professor PO Bishop of the John Curtin School for Medical Research gave the oration. The guests then walked from the hall to the accompaniment of the St Andrews Pipe Band to tour the NVRI and join a party in the car park of the NVRI.
How Acquired: Record of VCO
Condition: Good although some fading
Location: Archive office. South wall. Cube 5 Album 2