Catalogue Number: 1265
Professor Barry L Cole
Sub-Category: Photograph People and events
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: c 1985
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Description Of Item: Colour photograph, 15.2 cm W x 10.2 cm H of Professor Barry Cole. The picture is taken in the Nathan Library when it was just a small part of the now larger Library. At the time of the photograph the Amies theatre occupied the greater part of what is now the Library.
Historical Significance: Professor Cole was the first full time lecturer in the College, taking up appointment in mid 1959. He became Director of Studies in 1964 and Director of the College in 1973, a position in which he continued until December 1998. He was appointed the foundation head of the Department of Optometry at the University of Melbourne in 1973 and appointed the foundation professor of optometry in 1978. He founded the NVRI and was its Acting Director until a full-time Director was appointed. He retired on March 31 1999.
How Acquired: Donated by
Condition: Very good
Location: Archive office. South wall. Cube 5 Album 2