Catalogue Number: 1481
Ohio State University and its College of Optometry
Sub-Category: Hewett collection
Author: GOERLER Ralmund with FRY Glenn A and HEBBARD Frederick W
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1993
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Ohio
Publisher/Manufacturer: Ohio State University College of Optometry
Description Of Item: Original green cover, 50 pages and 3 pages of advertisements, profusely ilustrated with black and white photographs. Inscription to Lois Brien from the College Feb 14 1997 on the front fly leaf.
Historical Significance: The optometry course at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio began in 1914 as a two year course. Charles Sheard, a physicist and lecturer in the Physics Department, established the course. The course became a 4-year degree course in 1914. This book contains photographs of Charles Sheard, Glenn Fry, Frederick Hebbard and Richard Hill who lead the optometry school over the years. There are only a few photographs of the optometry school itself,most are of OSU as a whole. OSU optometry is significant because under Glenn Fry (1909-1996) particularly it pursued significant research and graduated a number of optometrists with PhD degrees in the late 1950s who were later to take leading roles in research and in leading USA optometry schools. They included Westheimer, Alpern, Enoch, Grosvenor, Hofsetter and others. Glenn A Fry was Dean of the Ohio State University Optometry College from 1935 to 1966. Picture is from the book and is of the then new optometry school built in 1950.
How Acquired: Purchased by Kett Museum (Abe Books $60)
Date Acquired: April 2010
Location: Nathan Library. Hewett collection