Catalogue Number: 1506
Schultz-Crock binocular indirect loupe (ophthalmoscope) Mk III
Designer/inventor: CROCK Gerard and SCHULTZ Donald
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1970
Time Period: 1940 to 1999
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Adelaide
Publisher/Manufacturer: SOLA Optical Australia
Description Of Item: Spectacle mounted Schultz-Crock binocular indirect ophthalmoscope with neck cord and electrical lead. Two labels 'THE SCHULTZ-CROCK Pat No 406782' and 'SOLA OPTICAL AUSTRALIA PTY LTD Made in Australia'. Booklet, green stiff card cover, 8 pages, entitled Schultz-Crock Binocular Indirect Loupe Mk III (with quartz halogen lamp) by R D Watkins PhD MAppSc DIC and published by SOLA Optical Australia Pty Ltd, undated. The booklet includes details of the design and use of the instrument. The cover bears the name 'R Kaye Optometrist'
Historical Significance: Gerard Crock, (1929-2007), Foundation Ringland Anderson Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Melbourne, devised the concept of a light weight spectacle mounted binocular indirect ophthalmoscope that could be used for eye examination and retinal surgery. He developed a prototype and approached SOLA Optical, a large lens manufacturing company in Adelaide, Australia, in 1965 to ask them to develop the concept. Donald Schultz (1910-1987), an optometrist and the Technical Director at SOLA then took responsibility for designing the instrument for commercial viability. The Schultz-Crock ophthalmoscope received an Australian Design Council award for outstanding industrial design. It remained in production for the next 35 years and many thousands of units were produced and sold all over the world. Australian optometrists used only direct ophthalmoscopes up to about 1970. The Schultz-Crock BIO was their instrument of choice when they began to embrace binocular indirect ophthalmoscopy. Australian Patent Number 406782 on this instrument was lodged on 12th May 1969, accepted on 9th October 1970 and published on 19th November 1970. See Watkins RD Profile of Donald Herbert Schultz Clin Exp Optom 2004; 87: 187-190.The Museum holds another slightly earler model of this instrument See Cat No 2316.
How Acquired: Donated by Robert Kaye, Sydney optometrist and sometime Fellow of the College
Date Acquired: 2010
Location: Archive room. West wall. Unit 6 Drawer 3