Catalogue Number: 1518
Opening of the College building in Carlton 1960
Sub-Category: Photograph Buildings
Year Of Publication/Manufacture: 1960
Place Of Publication/Manufacture: Melbourne
Description Of Item: Set of 47 colour 35 mm transparency photographs of those attending and/or officiating at the opening of the new building of the College at 374 Cardigan Street on October 20 1960. The slides are held in 3 plastic slide storage sheets. Black and white prints of some of these photographs are held as Cat Nos 380 to 388 and there are two colour prints at Cat No 917 and 918.
Historical Significance: The Victorian College of Optometry was founded on December 29 1939 with the signing of the Articles of Association on that day. It rented premises on the fourth floor of Kurrajong House at 177 Collins Street Melbourne from 1940 to 1960. In 1960 it moved to a new purpose built building at 374 Cardigan Street Carlton. The site comprising 374 to 378 Cardigan Street had been purchased in 1956 when Bertram Nathan was Treasurer of the College for 6200 pounds ($12,400). The site had on it a terrace house and a cottage. The Treasurer persuaded the Government of Victoria to make a grant of 32,000 pounds ($64,000) to construct a new building on the site occupied by the cottage. This was completed early in 1960. The opening was to be performed by the Premier of the State, the Hon Henry Bolte, but he sent the Attorney General Hon Arthur Rylah (1909-1874) as his deputy.
How Acquired: Record of VCO
Location: Archive office. South wall. Cube 5 Album 3